Friday, October 1, 2010

How much can I get for...

We constantly have people calling us to find out the trade value of a game. At my old store I didn't really mind doing it because we weren't very busy but at my new store, we are ALWAYS busy and there's ALWAYS someone who needs help. So it's really annoying when people call in wanting to know the trade value for 10 games. We usually just tell people to bring it in because the computer won't let us look it up unless it's in front of us. This is all lies. When I look up a used game, it tells me the current trade-in value. Usually I will say, "You're going to have to bring it in so we can look at the quality of the disc(s)" and if I can, I will look it up anyway and add, "but you're looking at around 10 dollars."

I had this one guy call in and ask me about the trade value of Halo Reach. I tell him he's looking around $20. The actual trade value was $23 but I rounded. The guy gives me the customary freak out about how we are robbing people bla bla bla. Then he goes, "well how much would I get for the Legendary Edition?" OK, maybe you're new at this trading in thing but we don't sell collector's editions used. We sell GOTY editions but that's it. So I tell him he'd get the same amount. The guys starts yelling and cussing at me. I just tell him, "Look I don't set the prices, if you would like our customer service number I can give that to you but otherwise there's nothing I can do." Dude hangs up on me.


Did I mention this was three days after the release of Halo Reach?

2 comments:

Hunterelf said...

haha, you get soo much fun working in gamestop!! i'd lmao if i were you, $20 for halo reach after 3 days launch, that kinda says alot about the game lol

swarkles said...

Actually $23 is pretty good considering the most you will get for anything is $25. The only time it's worth trading in is when there are good promotions or you really don't care about a game anymore.